Notifications
Clear all

my neighbor stole my cat....  

RSS

Emma L
(@emmal)
11/12/2019 12:23 am  

my cat went missing a couple of weeks ago. I recently saw him in my neighbor's window. I have no proof that he is mine (no chip). Is there anything I can do legally to get him back ? 

Benoit George
(@benoit-g)
12/12/2019 1:27 am  

Jesus.....take him back....I would collect all my pictures and proof (vet files, pictures), remember any defining characteristics on its body that only a owner will remember (bump on the nose, scar....) and go see your neighbor. I would stay calm (or at least try) and play dumb.  thank them for taking care of your "baby" and tell them how appreciative you are that they took care of him since he "got lost". This might take them off guard and they might concede knowing that you are fully aware that it's your cat. I would not go aggressive. They are likely to respond in similar fashion. If they refuse after you are being polite, then I would tell them that you have all the proof (pics, vet bills, vet file), and can get your vet involved (as they have been following your cat since he was a kitten) and that you would call the police (....although they won't do anything....but it's worth the bluff...at this point you have nothing to loose). I would continue to try to stay calm of course. Don't scream as this would only get your neighbor on the defensive. 

It really is a difficult situation as there aren't any laws protecting you (or at least I don't think so). The police will most probably not take the situation seriously. Hope you get your cat back. 

ReplyQuote
Emma L
(@emmal)
13/12/2019 12:11 am  

Thank you Benoit. I think those are good suggestions. I will do my best to keep calm. It's quite a stressful situation. 

ReplyQuote
Share: